*No working, salvageable piano was harmed in the making of this post (this is especially important to me since I am a pianist and would never purposely dismember a working instrument)*
*I can't spell*
So, now that that's out of the way, we can begin! I began this project on accident... I was actively looking for a used piano to call my own, and we have this fantastic local website here where I live for just such used listings as I was looking for. I found a beautiful old piano for free, and was fully planning on restoring it to working order...
I somehow got the beast home (seriously, it weighed probably upwards of 800 lbs. Funny side note, it took 2 adult men, 7 teenage boys, and 2 women to lift this monster into the back of my dad's truck... no kidding) and upon closer inspection realized the soundboard (what the strings are attached to and where the sound resonates) was cracked in several places, and while the basic mechanics where all in tact, it wasn't worth the time, effort and money it would take to restore it.
Sooo.... I decided to use the keyboard and platform to make a shelf for my house!
I love the antiqued look this piano has, so I decided not to stain it or paint it, but just to leave the natural wearing. I took it apart piece by piece, and was able to get everything I needed and discovered much about the piano along the way... And left behind the shell, if you will. The picture below is an in-the-process picture of taking it apart. I set the keys on top of the piano with some of the misc. pieces, so it's a little jumbled looking, but that is the inside of an upright grand everyone!
(Another funny story... The screws that were holding the piano together had been in there for over 100 years, and were so rusted and fitted into place that I actually bent a screwdriver trying to turn them out.)
*I shake my fist in the air at injustice*
Ultimately, I was able to get it looking reasonable again.
I used my dad's circular saw to cut down the base board right behind that second row of pins, taking off about 7 inches or so. You can see in that same picture some lone pieces of silver hardware in the very back... Those are gone too :)
I also have to give a shout out to my good friend Jill... She let me borrow her husband's miter saw. *drool*. This one even has a draw on it!
One day... One day I tell you... I will OWN all of these tools!
I used the miter saw to being the hair-cutting process of the keys. Each of the keys (after being scrubbed and sanded) was trimmed down to a size that would be manageable on my wall. You can see below how I cut the keys... those five on the right are un-cut and pretty darn long.
Below is a view from the back side of the piece, since I'm sure you all wanted to know how the back of a piano's keyboard looked... But be impressed readers! This is something you'll never see again!
The keyboard cover is 'up', and the final top piece isn't on yet, but I wanted to show off my nice even cuts using equipment way above my pay grade. And I wanted you all to admire my beautiful plastic counters.