Saturday, October 8, 2011

Halloween Trees



My sister Lindsay has been telling me that I really need to post Halloween projects BEFORE Halloween.... But that would reveal all my secrets! So in an attempt to appease her, I'm posting about my FULLY AWESOME Halloween trees. No, I didn't think to take any during-the-process pictures (sorry), but I'll explain what I did and how I did it.

It all started when two of my maple trees died in the back yard. I was looking at them thinking "what a waste of a perfectly good tree"... so I cut them down at the base and found they were dry all the way through. Good for me, but bad for the trees :( But because they were completely dry, they were very light and easy to handle.


I was able to get them in the house to measure how much I would need to cut off so they would fit. Luckily I have a vaulted ceiling in my living room, so I was able to keep them about 12 feet-ish.

I took them back outside and after trimming off all the dried leaves that were still hanging on, and trimming off any broken twigs and such I spray painted them both black. I used about 1 whole Krylon can of black satin spray paint each. Sounds like alot, but spray painting a tree is different from spray painting a flat shelf of picture frame or whatnot... I did however try to stack them on each other so that any spray that missed one branch might hit another.


Once I had them painted, I used wire hangers (straightened out) to secure them into the pots.

These pots housed my tomato plants, but I decided they would be better used as decorations... A better way to go if you ask me. They are plastic, and I used a drill bit to punch 4 holes just under the lip of the rim of the pot to thread the hangers through.

Ok bear with me as I try to explain how I did this hanger-securing part. (and yes, that is the correct way to spell bear... I looked it up.)

I started by pushing my tree trunk into the largest floral-foam block I could find.... probably 12"x12"x12". Then I wedged it into the bottom of my pot, which was just under 12" at the bottom... It was quite snug, and allowed me to work with the hangers and not worry about the tree toppling down on me.


After straightening out each hanger and tying a knot in the very end of just one side (using pliers... I should have taken pictures of the blisters) I threaded a hanger through one of the 4 holes in the pot. Then I went around the left of the tree trunk 270*, and put the straight end of the hanger into the drilled hole on the right (90* away from starting hole), making the hanger into an 'L' shape.


Does that even make sense?


Aaaaanway, I pulled the hanger as far as I could while keeping the tree completely vertical, and used the pliers again to bend a hook in the hanger as close as possible to the outside of the drilled hole. The more rotated my pliers, the tighter the hanger got, since the hooked hanger was too big to fit back through the hole I drilled. I used the second hanger in the same way using the remaining two holes, but I pulled that one as tight as I could, putting as much pressure on both hangers as possible.


SO.... with the foam block at the bottom keeping the tree from tipping, and the hangers keeping the tree from wobbling, I came out with a very sturdy and balanced base for my trees.

Keep in mind this was NOT easy, but SO worth it... Because I took all that time, I don't have to worry about my tree tipping, I can just set it on its base and it wont lean or wobble.


If this sounds like WAY too much work to you, you could plug the holes at the bottom of your pot and fill it with small river rocks to make the base heavy enough it won't allow the tree to tip. Obviously, that's alot heavier, and it cant be transported on its side, nor lifted by the trunk of the tree with just one hand (wow, do I sound biased?), but it is much faster. I will still recommend the foam block at the bottom however.


After that I used a hot glue gun to secure my very large chunk of spanish moss to the inside of the pot, and voila, you have a super cool halloween tree.


Keep in mind, this is SO easy to personalize... I spray painted my pots black and my moss lime green for Halloween, but it would be so easy to decorate the pots as gifts with moss painted white for christmas, or a pink tree and pot with red moss for valentines day, the list goes on!



*sigh*.... If only I had more dead maple trees....







3 comments:

  1. Oh Ashley you are so funny :) I love how you reused your trees though! I definitely think your way is so much easier and lighter too. Your end comment had me dieing I'm sure if the city was going to get ride of their dieing trees you for sure could have them? Where are you going to store them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to all your "secrets" revealed.

    So pleased that you know the right spelling of bear. When people write "bare with me," I always think, "NO! Let's keep our clothes on!"
    And, you know how to spell voila! Not wa-la, walla, or, my favorite: vwalla. You smart girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize those were actual trees! How very creative of you. I also love how you can now just paint them again for different holidays! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete