Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Owl collage

Hi everyone. I wanted to share my latest craftiness with you. I was perusing Martha Stewarts website (*gag* I know....) and came across this adorable collage called petite owl. BTW, I'm really into owl and bird designs right now, and so I decided just one petite owl wasn't enough. So I patched together this idea on a canvas I had lying around, and I'm pretty pleased with the result!


I started by painting a light blue background with a stiff, bristle-y brush to get a rough, rustic look, then painted over it again with white. Then I just pieced together the owl families with scrapbooking paper I had, and used white paint and black puff paint for the eyes.

Then I mod podged the whole with several layers, and it gave the paper a really nice, rich glossy look. The stars and moon were a later addition, I didn't like the negative space I was left with, and that was my solution.

You'll have to let me know what you think... I'm planning on hanging it in the new peanut's room, once I get it all sorted out how it's going to look... If I ever get to that point.
Loves,

5 comments:

  1. HOLY COW!!!! (Or owl) I LOVE IT!!!!
    The owl shapes are perfect! And for me, that is always hard - making owl shapes perfect. The colors are beautiful, and it looks so amazing! Like something you would find in a boutique. Excellent job..and the moon and starts add a TON to it. I love them. Great choice. Man, I wish I was as creative as you! Pure raw talent you have!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAAHHHH! I have to comment again. I JUST LOVE IT!!!
    Seriously, you should list this on etsy! Just list it and say that it will be similar, but that each piece is unique and it may vary slightly from the picture. For like $60.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it was between me trying to make that and buying it on etsy, I would for sure go w/the buying it. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super cute Ashley! You are so talented. I love it. It will look awesome in the baby's room.

    ReplyDelete